Choosing a reputable computer is critical today. You are entrusting your computer and personal information to people that you may not know or have not done business with in the past. You are also entrusting your valuable property to them.
Consider these findings from a University of Guelph November 2022 study entitled No Privacy in the Electronics Repair Industry :
Consider the Following When Trying to Find a Reputable Computer Repair Company
- “Privacy policies and the practice of communicating protocols and controls to protect customers’ data do not exist across service providers of all sizes.”
- “Technicians often snoop on customers’ data …and sometimes copy those to external devices. “
- “Technicians who violate privacy often do so carefully not to generate evidence…or remove such evidence. “
- “A significant proportion of broken devices…are not repaired due to privacy concerns.”
- “For the devices that get repaired, device owners are concerned about threats to their privacy but do not use the proper controls to protect their data.”
What You Can Do
Don’t let the fear of the unknown stop you from getting your computer repaired. There are several things that you can do when evaluating a computer repair company and preparing for service:
- Reviews: Consult online reviews about the business. They can be a good barometer and give you insight into the business and it employees. Online Reviews Statistics and Trends: A 2022 Report by ReviewTrackers indicates that Google is the most popular review site. According to Forbes, over 60% of customers consult ‘Google reviews online before they visit a business.’ Look for common themes and trends in the reviews and be wary of overly positive or negative language so that you get a balanced perspective. Other common places to look for review information are the Better Business Bureau and Yelp.
- Back-Up Your Data: All of us have files, pictures, music and videos that we don’t want to lose. Prior to taking your computer or device in for repair it is a good idea to back them up to the Cloud or an external hard or USB drive.
- Password Protect Your Files: If you have sensitive files, you can choose to password protect them if the computer applications allows. Call us to learn more.
- Remove sensitive files: If you still have concerns about your data, remove sensitive files. Make sure that these files are saved externally before deleting them to either to the Cloud or an eternal hard drive or USB.
- Insurance: Make sure that the computer repair company has insurance to cover any loss or damage that may occur during the repair process.
Why Choose Ridgeline?
Ridgeline also believes in being your trusted technology advisor. We will let you know that if it is not in your best interest to have your computer repaired. We can also help recommend a computer based on your specific needs and help you purchase it.
Contact Ridgeline today or call us at 866-414-3331 to learn how we can help you with your computer repair needs today!